- Tips to fool facial recognition systems are fast becoming obsolete.
- New research using partial features is showing a high success rate.
- The future looks bleak for privacy advocates.
Facial recognition systems have exploded in popularity in the last couple of years. From filing for… Continue
Added by Stephanie Glen on October 10, 2021 at 5:00pm —
- New study uses agent-based model for displacement of plastics in the ocean.
- Authors hope to build awareness about plastic pollution.
- The model calculates drift based on the direction of surface water currents.
- Future uses may include tracking crash debris.
A new study from researchers at The … Continue
Added by Stephanie Glen on September 30, 2021 at 3:50am —
- New study used Federated Learning to predict severity of Covid-19 for E.R. patients.
- Significant improvements seen in central vs. local models.
- Model slated for use in production in the near future.
Many ethical and legal challenges surround COVID-19 data analysis, including data ownership, data security, and… Continue
Added by Stephanie Glen on September 20, 2021 at 8:19am —
- New study is 98.4% accurate at detecting Covid-19 from X-rays.
- Researchers trained a convolutional neural network on Kaggle dataset.
- The hope is that the technology can be used to quickly and effectively identify Covid-19 patients.
As the Covid-19 pandemic continues to evolve, there is a…
Added by Stephanie Glen on September 13, 2021 at 4:00am —
- Cardiovascular diseases are the primary cause of global deaths.
- New model detects coronary heart disease with almost 99% accuracy.
- DNN with hidden layers shows more accuracy than other models.
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), cardiovascular diseases (CVDs) are the leading cause of death… Continue
Added by Stephanie Glen on September 5, 2021 at 2:30pm —
- A new study warns we’re likely to see another major pandemic within the next few decades.
- New database of pandemic info used to calculate increased probability.
- A major pandemic will likely wipe out human life within 12,000 years.
For much of the past century, the fear has been that a calamity like an asteroid… Continue
Added by Stephanie Glen on August 29, 2021 at 12:30pm —
- Examples of the worst models built during the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Reasons why pandemic modeling is fraught with issues.
- Some successful models may offer hope for the future.
Covid-19 forecasting efforts fell apart at the seams, despite experienced modelers, sophisticated tools, and the best of intentions.… Continue
Added by Stephanie Glen on August 23, 2021 at 6:00am —
- Autocorrelation can ruin your regression analysis.
- How to spot autocorrelation in your data with visual tools and formal tests.
- Tips to remove autocorrelation.
Autocorrelation is a measure of similarity (correlation) between adjacent data points; It is where data points are affected by the values of… Continue
Added by Stephanie Glen on August 16, 2021 at 6:17am —
- Geospatial modeling may be the future of pandemic control.
- Recent studies analyzed local data and found hidden trends.
- Border control isn’t enough to stop the spread of Covid-19.
- Where you live determines your risk for the disease.
Significant amounts of data have been collected, analyzed, and… Continue
Added by Stephanie Glen on August 9, 2021 at 4:30am —
- Overview of different types of keys used in E-R diagrams.
- How to establish a primary key from a set of alternatives.
- Composite, superkey, candidate, primary and alternate keys explained.
- Other keys you may come across include foreign and partial keys.
If you’re unfamiliar with entities and attributes, you may… Continue
Added by Stephanie Glen on July 31, 2021 at 6:30pm —
Cardinality and participation explained for E-R diagrams.
- How to show cardinality/participation for several methodologies.
- Examples of notation and diagrams.
In my previous posts, I discussed some E-R diagram… Continue
Added by Stephanie Glen on July 25, 2021 at 11:00am —
- Good E-R diagrams capture core components of an enterprise.
- 5 things not to include in your diagram.
- Tips to guide you in your E-R diagram design.
In my previous blog post, I introduced you to the… Continue
Added by Stephanie Glen on July 18, 2021 at 2:53pm —
- E-R diagrams capture meaning in your data.
- This high-level visual tool identifies core components of an enterprise
- Simple steps to follow to create the diagram.
Entity-Relationship (E-R) Modeling is one approach to visualize what story your data is trying to tell. This goal of this predecessor to… Continue
Added by Stephanie Glen on July 11, 2021 at 2:30pm —
- Cause-and-effect relationships can be visualized in many ways.
- Five different types of graphs explained, from simple to probabilistic.
- Suggestions for when to use each type.
If your data shows… Continue
Added by Stephanie Glen on June 27, 2021 at 5:30pm —
- Data-based decision making is increasing in medicine because of its efficiency and accuracy.
- One branch of research uses Data Analytics and Machine Learning to predict stroke outcomes.
- Models can predict risk with high accuracy while maintaining a reasonable false positive rate.
Stroke is the second leading cause of death… Continue
Added by Stephanie Glen on June 22, 2021 at 4:26am —
- Epidemics remain a major public health issue.
- Data science steps in when traditional modeling methods fail.
- Outbreak analytics can handle the complex data involved in pandemic assessment.
The last two decades saw more new infectious diseases of global concern than in any similar period of history . Ebola, Influenza A… Continue
Added by Stephanie Glen on June 11, 2021 at 8:08am —
- Non-fungible token assets are declining rapidly,
- The market is down 70% from its peak,
- NFTs , in a moderated form, are likely here to stay.
Non-fungible tokens (NFTs), tradable digital certificates… Continue
Added by Stephanie Glen on June 7, 2021 at 6:00am —
- The Non-Fungible Token (NFT) craze is an environmental blitz.
- What's behind the massive energy use.
- Solutions to the problem.
The high environmental toll of NFTs
A couple of weeks ago, I wrote an article… Continue
Added by Stephanie Glen on May 31, 2021 at 4:00am —
- Business analytics has moved from the sidelines to the forefront
- AI-based technology has revolutionized the field
- Real-world examples of BA success.
Gone are the days when a BA’s role was as a requirements note taker , or when data interpretation was the responsibility of a small team of programmers. In the… Continue
Added by Stephanie Glen on May 23, 2021 at 2:56pm —
- Non-Fungible Tokens (NFTs) are taking the art world by storm.
- A large number of serious problems outweigh any positives.
- Two infographics to explain the process and issues.
The above image shows how an object of value, like an artwork, music file or GIF, can be “minted” and sold via a non-fungible token (NFT). An… Continue
Added by Stephanie Glen on May 16, 2021 at 12:30pm —