- Thanks to distributed computing models, 5G availability, and the growth of IoT, edge computing is poised to erupt. Bringing applications and data closer to the people and devices using them can reduce latency, improve security, reduce costs, and improve reliability, but requires significant investments in infrastructure and data management. Register for the Enabling Edge Computing summit to learn about the hardware, application architectures, network connectivity, monitoring tools, and security measures needed, as well as data analytics capabilities that enable automation at the edge.
- The importance of effective strategic partnerships is at an all-time high. For technology companies to stay competitive and accelerate customer-focused innovation faster today, they must have a clear vision for growing their partner ecosystems. And to deliver success they need superlative collaboration both with their partners and amongst the diverse teams required within any single organization. Join us for the Partner Marketing Visionaries ™ Summit, a two-day virtual event that will explore key areas within strategic partnerships. Together, partner marketing leaders from across the globe will share insights, learnings and tactics you can use to point the way towards new levels of partner marketing success in your own practice.
Repetitions of History: Can You Trust Your Eyes (or Ears)?
We find ourselves in a similar conversation today that occurred in the 1880s when photography became widespread. Artists and critics derided photography because it lacked “that refined feeling and sentiment which animate the productions of a man of genius.” They believed photography lacked a creative aspect, there was no soul in it. Does this sound familiar? AI-generated images are currently described in the same way.
As time went on, photography became more popular despite the initial backlash from the art community. The artistry in photography was not in the replication of a realistic scene, but rather in the composition chosen by the photographer. We are still trying to find where the artistry lies in AI generation.
Part of the identity of early photography was that it was more representative of reality than a painting could be. Intrinsic trust in the medium allowed the “spirit photography” grift to permeate popular culture. Famous writers like Arthur Conan Doyle, of Sherlock Holmes fame, even made a case for its legitimacy. As technologically savvy 21st-century people, we know better. The Cottingley Fairies, as depicted above, were fake, and today it’s hard to believe they fooled anyone. Doyle published these photos believing they were legitimate, despite his contemporary experts having their doubts.
This leads us to today. Widely available programs like Adobe Photoshop have been on the market for decades and we understand that faking images is easy. Video is harder due to the complexity of moving objects and lighting, but Hollywood has been fooling moviegoers for decades with practical effects and CGI. But still, we are aware of these tools and their ability to fool our eyes. What about our ears? Voice cloning tools use machine learning algorithms to parse speech and recreate voice and speech patterns with incredible accuracy. Political leaders have hundreds of recorded hours of speech and it’s surprisingly easy to clone their voices. A popular trend is to make videos where Presidents Biden, Trump, and Obama are talking like a group of friends on a call. One depicts a late-night heart-to-heart between the three of them. While harmless in spoof videos, it’s already used to spread false narratives for political gain. In 50 years, will the next generation look back in amazement at these relatively primitive voice clones and how easily they fooled us?
Contact The DSC Team if you are interested in contributing.
DSC Featured Articles
- 5 Possible Places the Blockchain Industry Could Influence
March 6, 2023 at 7:37 pm
by Aileen Scott
- Human Voice Over VS. AI – How Humans Outperform AI?
March 6, 2023 at 7:29 pm
by Madiha Jamal
- Unleash Your Coding Potential with These 8 Node.js IDE
March 6, 2023 at 7:22 pm
- FAIR Content: Better Chatbot Answers and Content Reusability at Scale
March 6, 2023 at 7:19 pm
by Alan Morrison
- The Future of Data is Real-Time
March 6, 2023 at 7:13 pm
by Eric Sammer
- Pros and Cons of Using OpenAI in Mobile App Development
March 5, 2023 at 6:08 pm
- Power of AI Automation In Agritech: Everything You Need To Know For Your Business
March 3, 2023 at 8:38 pm
by Evan Rogen
- From Data to Insights: The Power of Wireless Sensors
March 3, 2023 at 4:05 pm
by Nikita Godse
- Metaverse in Gaming: Revolution In Gaming industry With Next-Generation Experience
March 2, 2023 at 1:25 pm
- New Podcast: The FAIR Data Forecast
March 1, 2023 at 1:19 am
by Alan Morrison
- DSC Weekly 28 February 2023 – Generative Adversarial Networks (GANs): Are They Really Useful?
February 28, 2023 at 8:31 pm
by Scott Thompson