With over a thousand apps launched daily, the market competition in mobile app development is intense. Going mobile is no longer an option for a business; it is an operating rule. Companies that haven’t yet launched an app are missing out on an essential milestone in the digital revolution.
Number of mobile app downloads worldwide from 2016 to 2021
By 2025, mobile apps are projected to generate over 613 billion U.S. dollars in revenue (Statista). With the massive spur of consumers shifting to the mobile platform, the need to build an app now is more than ever before.
Average consumer spend on mobile apps per smartphone as of 1st quarter 2022 ( in US dollars)
If you want to increase your visibility and interact with your consumers, go ahead with Mobile app development & follow the app-building trends. However, you do need to consider a few things before you plunge into designing and building an app.
Points to consider during Mobile App Development
Decide whether the app is for Apple, Android, or both?
- You should first begin with figuring out your target audience. This will decide whether you should go for an Android-based or an Apple-based application. This aspect also determines the cost to build an app.
- If you are targeting a mammoth market comprising of mostly middle-class folks, then Android is your calling. Maximum people use Android. Therefore this is the choice of companies who want to sell to a mass market that can easily download the app on Android.
- The affluent section of people uses Apple; therefore, if you sell something extravagant that only the rich can afford, opt for an Apple-based app. Customers who possess an Apple phone do not mind paying a bomb for any product, which is reason enough for elite companies to develop their apps on Apple.
- Ask yourself what problem you need to solve for which segment of the audience.
- An entrepreneur can identify even minor problems that people are facing daily and come up with solutions accordingly. Problems are everywhere!
- Make an exhaustive list of the issues you think you want to resolve, and then choose the one that suits you best.
- Market research is the base of any business decision. Before you calculate the cost to build an app and check out the investment needed and invest in an app, then start your quest with thorough research. Understand the target market, latest market trends, and customer demand to name a few.
- Do a market analysis and understand the strategy and popularity of similar apps. Know your customer reviews, choices, and preferences.
- Proper research will help you plan and develop a user-friendly app to help your company grow.
App Registration Process
The registration process for Google Play and App Store is slightly longer. You should be aware of the registration policies and changes. Apple is stricter in this regard, and the slightest breach can lead to dire consequences. So you need to plan time for the app registration process so you do not do it in a hurry.
App developer or online app building service?
- You can even think of building the app in-house, and if you have the resources as per the cost to build an app, along with an efficient app development team, making the app in-house will give you complete control of the process, from concept to design to building and testing.
- On the contrary, if you want the app-building process to be quicker and cheaper, then you can always hire a white-label company to do it for you.
- Another option is to hire freelance app developers on online platforms like Fiverr, Upwork, Freelancer, etc.
- Focus on enhancing the user experience as this factor forms the backbone of a mobile application.
- If your customers have to fidget with your app with problems like extra loading time and poor responsiveness, they will surely quit the app.
- Your app will define the way your customer thinks about your business. Ensure your app is user-friendly, highly interactive, and easy to use.
- User security is a crucial aspect of the digital landscape. If you are collecting vital user information, ensure your app has an efficient security system to keep all that information safe.
- If your app features transaction processes, then the need for robust user security is of utmost importance. You must put all the privacy policies in a section on the app for the users to read. They should be ensured that their information is safe on your app and will never be misused.
- Testing the app before launching it in the market is an imperative process. You should test the app for user-friendliness, efficiency, responsiveness, high performance, etc. You will figure out the nooks and crannies, if any, and take the necessary steps to rectify those. You will also be able to determine if there is any additional cost to build an app.
- Before you offer your app to its final users, the testing process ensures that you have developed a strong application to connect your business directly with the world.
Even if you are conscious of the cost of building an app, you cannot afford to ignore infrastructure that will enhance scalability.
- A scalable app accommodates an increase in users smoothly without the user experience getting affected. A seamless user experience is essential to the users.
- When you work on scalability, you consider the possibility of crashes and downtime issues, errors, failures, and any outages.
- When user experience is augmented, you improve brand loyalty too.
You’ve built your app and are happy with the idea you came up with to tackle the problem. Make music & noise about it! Reaching your audience is very important.
- Strategize for the marketing plans and activities in the beginning because that works best for you.
- Start creating hype and some buzz around the app at least 2-3 weeks in advance.
- Hire a specialist to take care of your marketing or ensure you are educated well enough on the efforts that need to be made and at what time.
The number of smartphone users is likely to increase exponentially soon. Exposing your business to your consumers through a mobile application is the best way to grab a good share of the digital landscape and grab eyeballs. An app helps to be in constant touch with your customers and keep them updated about the latest developments in your business. So, go ahead and get an app constructed for your business. Remember that building an app is more of a strategic decision than a technical decision; you should nurture it intrinsically and in sync with the values and objectives of your company.