How well prepared is your organization to innovate, using data science? In this report, two leading data scientists at the consulting firm Booz Allen Hamilton describe ten characteristics of a mature data science capability. After spending years helping clients such as the US government and commercial organizations worldwide build innovative data science capabilities, Peter Guerra and Dr. Kirk Borne identified these characteristics to help you measure your company’s competence in this area.
This report provides a detailed discussion of each of the 10 signs of data science maturity, which—among many other things—encourage you to:
- Give members of your organization access to all your available data
- Use Agile and leverage “DataOps”—DevOps for data product development
- Help your data science team sharpen its skills through open or internal competitions
- Personify data science as a way of doing things, and not a thing to do
Peter Guerra is a Vice President in Booz Allen Hamilton’s Strategic Innovation Group, co-leading the Data Science team. He’s been a data geek throughout his IT career, focused on building highly available systems, distributed computing architectures, and analytics, with commercial and government clients.
Dr. Kirk Borne, Principal Data Scientist at Booz Allen Hamilton, supports the Strategic Innovation Group in the area of NextGen Analytics and Data Science. He was a professor at George Mason University in the graduate (Ph.D.) Computational Science and Informatics program, and worked for 18 years on NASA contracts, including as the Hubble Telescope Data Archive Project Scientist.
The book is available, here.
- Career: Training | Books | Cheat Sheet | Apprenticeship | Certification | Salary Surveys | Jobs
- Knowledge: Research | Competitions | Webinars | Our Book | Members Only | Search DSC
- Buzz: Business News | Announcements | Events | RSS Feeds
- Misc: Top Links | Code Snippets | External Resources | Best Blogs | Subscribe | For Bloggers
- What statisticians think about data scientists
- Data Science Compared to 16 Analytic Disciplines
- 10 types of data scientists
- 91 job interview questions for data scientists
- 50 Questions to Test True Data Science Knowledge
- 24 Uses of Statistical Modeling
- 21 data science systems used by Amazon to operate its business
- Top 20 Big Data Experts to Follow (Includes Scoring Algorithm)
- 5 Data Science Leaders Share their Predictions for 2016 and Beyond
- 50 Articles about Hadoop and Related Topics
- 10 Modern Statistical Concepts Discovered by Data Scientists
- Top data science keywords on DSC
- 4 easy steps to becoming a data scientist
- 22 tips for better data science
- How to detect spurious correlations, and how to find the real ones
- 17 short tutorials all data scientists should read (and practice)
- High versus low-level data science