This article was written by Uli Bethke.
The full title is “Dimensional Modeling and Kimball Data Marts in the Age of Big Data and Hadoop”.
Is dimensional modeling dead? Before I give you an answer to this question let’s take a step back and first have a look at what we mean by dimensional data modelling.
This long article has the following sections:
- Why do we need to model our data?
- Why do we need dimensional models?
- Data Modelling vs Dimensional Modelling
- So why do some people claim that dimensional modelling is dead?
- The Data Warehouse is dead Confusion
- The Schema on Read Misunderstanding
- Denormalization revisited. The physical aspects of the model.
- Taking de-normalization to its full conclusion
- Data distribution on a distributed relational database (MPP)
- Data Distribution on Hadoop
- Dimensional Models on Hadoop
- Hadoop and Slowly Changing Dimensions
- Storage evolution on Hadoop
- The verdict. Are dimensional models and star schemas obsolete?
- Complementary Reading on Dimensional Modelling in the Era of Big Data
- Services: Hire a Data Scientist | Search DSC | Classifieds | Find a Job
- Contributors: Post a Blog | Ask a Question
- Follow us: @DataScienceCtrl | @AnalyticBridge