This article was written by Pallavi Poojary.
In a world where 2.5 quintillion bytes of data is produced every day, a professional who can organize this humongous data to provide business solutions is indeed the hero! Much has been spoken about why Big Data is here to stay and why Big Data Analytics is the best career move. Building on what’s already been written and said, let’s discuss Data Science career opportunities and why ‘Data Scientist’ is the sexiest job title of the 21st century.
Data Science Career Opportunities
A Data Scientist, according to Harvard Business Review, “is a high-ranking professional with the training and curiosity to make discoveries in the world of Big Data”. Therefore it comes as no surprise that Data Scientists are coveted professionals in the Big Data Analytics and IT industry.
Data Scientist Salary Trends
A report by Glassdoor shows that Data scientists lead the pack for the best jobs in America. The report goes on to say that the median salary for a Data Scientist is an impressive $116,000 and there are over 1,736 job openings posted on the site (Source).
Data Scientist Job Roles
A Data Scientist dons many hats in his/her workplace. Not only are Data Scientists responsible for business analytics, they are also involved in building data products and software platforms, along with developing visualizations and machine learning algorithms.
Hot Data Science Skills
Coding skills clubbed with knowledge of statistics and the ability to think critically, make up the arsenal of a successful data scientist. Some of the in-demand Data Scientist skills that will fetch big career opportunities in Data Science are:-SQL, – Hadoop, -Python, -Java, -R.
- Career: Training | Books | Cheat Sheet | Apprenticeship | Certification | Salary Surveys | Jobs
- Knowledge: Research | Competitions | Webinars | Our Book | Members Only | Search DSC
- Buzz: Business News | Announcements | Events | RSS Feeds
- Misc: Top Links | Code Snippets | External Resources | Best Blogs | Subscribe | For Bloggers
- What statisticians think about data scientists
- Data Science Compared to 16 Analytic Disciplines
- 10 types of data scientists
- 91 job interview questions for data scientists
- 50 Questions to Test True Data Science Knowledge
- 24 Uses of Statistical Modeling
- 21 data science systems used by Amazon to operate its business
- Top 20 Big Data Experts to Follow (Includes Scoring Algorithm)
- 5 Data Science Leaders Share their Predictions for 2016 and Beyond
- 50 Articles about Hadoop and Related Topics
- 10 Modern Statistical Concepts Discovered by Data Scientists
- Top data science keywords on DSC
- 4 easy steps to becoming a data scientist
- 22 tips for better data science
- How to detect spurious correlations, and how to find the real ones
- 17 short tutorials all data scientists should read (and practice)
- High versus low-level data science