Blockchain is one of the fast-growing technologies in the industry. According to Statista, revenue from blockchain is expected to reach 39 billion by 2025. The usefulness of blockchain technology emerges from its unique features like immutability and decentralization. These features allow the industry to build a network of tamper-proof records and values. The demand for blockchain professionals is simultaneously increasing. This presents a lucrative job opportunity for job seekers.
What is blockchain?
Blockchain is a sophisticated technology. It uses cryptography extensively to secure records and build a tamper-proof network, wherein records can’t be altered unless validated by a majority of participating parties on the network. This feature makes it suitable for several use cases in the industry. Supply chain, retail, and finance, among others, use blockchain in operations, making operations more efficient and streamlined.
Smart contracts, cryptocurrency, and Dapps (decentralized applications) are major applications of the technology.
To work with blockchain requires a comprehensive understanding of programming, computer science, cryptography, and web development. You will need a strong knowledge of all the mentioned subjects to excel in blockchain development.
What skills do you need for blockchain development?
- Cryptography – This is the foundation of blockchain technology. Private–key cryptography, public-key cryptography, and hash functions are important concepts in which you must gain in-depth knowledge to work effectively.
- Data structures – Blockchain technology extensively uses Merkle trees, Patricia trees, linked lists, and similar data structures. To fully understand the protocols and consensus mechanism, knowledge of data structures is a must.
- Smart contracts – These are self-executing programmable contracts. To work with smart contracts, you will need knowledge of solidity and various smart contract development platforms like Hyperledger, Corda, Ethereum, etc.
- Web development – Dapps (decentralized applications) require an intuitive interface so users can use them easily. These applications require background integration to be used on mobile or web. This requires knowledge of front-end and back-end development.
How long will you need to learn blockchain technology?
There’s no specific timeline as to how long it can take someone to learn blockchain development. It will depend on your proficiency in working in development. Plus, the time you devote. Full-time developers can take anywhere between 2-3 months if they devote specific hours while still working their full-time job. A few blockchain certifications and courses offer to equip with the requisite blockchain skills in under one month.
For complete beginners and fresh tech graduates, it can take longer. Perhaps 5-6 months. So there’s no specific time frame within which a person can learn blockchain.
The following are a few prominent blockchain certifications that promise to equip you with the requisite skills in a specific time frame.
- Certified Blockchain Expert (CBETM) – The Blockchain Council offers this certification. The certification equips you with all the requisite skills to work proficiently in blockchain development. According to the Blockchain Council, you need to spare 9 hours to take this certification successfully.
- Certified Blockchain Engineer (CBETM) – The Central Blockchain Council of America offers this blockchain professional certification. CBETM is a top-notch credential for working and aspiring blockchain developers who want to take their blockchain career to the next level. The certification equips knowledge of many blockchain development platforms, including Hyper ledger, Openchain, Stratis, Lisk, IOTA, and Hydrachain.
- Certified Blockchain Developer (CBDTM) – This is another blockchain certification offered by the Blockchain Council and is meant for aspiring blockchain developers. You need at least 8 hours to successfully to complete this certification.