- As IT Service Management drives Digital Transformation, 2022 is seeing investments in the discipline continue to grow. Thanks to innovations in AI and ML, ITSM has enabled businesses to survive the pandemic and transform organizations. As new innovations continue to shape the face of ITSM, it’s time to take another look at the effect of automation on service management, DevOps, monitoring and metrics and more. Join the Driving Innovation & Automation in IT Service Management summit to hear from experts as they uncover advances across the ITSM spectrum and share how your business can benefit.
- As cybersecurity risks evolve, it’s more important than ever for organizations to be aware of emerging threats and developments. In the four-day Combating Cyber Threats & Breach Prevention 2022 summit, leading security experts will share best-in-class strategies for keeping abreast of vulnerabilities, anticipating coming threats and baking security into a wide range of enterprise operations and applications. Register for free thought leadership from the world’s top speakers, vendors and evangelists in the form of live webinars, panel discussions, keynote presentations and webcam videos.
Decentralized Identifiers (DiDs) becomes a W3C Recommendation
One of the challenges that decentralized finance (and the web in general) faces is the need to uniquely identify a person, an organization, or a product. This, in general, is difficult because open identifiers are easily spoofed. Blockchain largely intended to combat this by creating self-sovereignty through a distributed algorithm that verified transactions were recorded and captured in multiple places.
However, in many respects, blockchain technology put the transaction too low on the stack (in addition to arguably using the wrong approach to capture ledger entries), largely because by making self-sovereignty central, ironically, the blockchain became an authority. Concerns about the centralization of blockchain nodes raised the issue enough that the underlying problems – determining the verifiability of a given key or token as an immutable representation of a given resource or authority – were addressed in a working group at the World Wide Web Consortium.
The Decentralized Identifier (DiD) working group published its formal recommendation last week, providing a mechanism for an identifier to be able to follow a consistent protocol for authentication. DiD, and its sister publication, Verifiable Credentials (VC), thus provides a way of managing the credentialing process, independent of whether the credentialing agency is a formal sovereign (a bank) or self-sovereign (an individual performing bank-like functions).
With DiD passed and VC on its way, the impacts on other technologies are likely to grow. DiDs are essential for managing large IoT, Industrial IoT, and Digital Twin technologies, as they provide a uniform mechanism for ensuring that resources are correctly identified. It will also likely force a rethinking of the existing blockchain stack, which is suffering partly because of its limited size, concerns about computational costs, and the connections of blockchain with the ICO market that may take another hit soon, given increased U.S. SEC scrutiny over the market.
DiDs and Verifiable Credentials, on the other hand, may allow the industry to do a cold reboot of this space with the new standards, especially given the interest by the Metaverse Standards Forum and the banking industry, the latter generally having been very lukewarm to a technology frequently touted as their replacement.
In media res,
Data Science Central
Data Science Central Editorial Calendar: August 2022
Every month, I’ll update this section with many topics I’m especially looking for in the coming month. These are more likely to be featured in our spotlight area. If you are interested in tackling one or more of these topics, we have the budget for dedicated articles. Please contact Kurt Cagle for details.
- Climate Change and Sustainability
- An AI Snowstorm?
- Personal Knowledge Graphs
- Gato and GPT-3
- Labeled Property Graphs
- Future of Work
- Data Meshes
- ML Transformers
- Energy AI
- RTO vs WFH
If you are interested in posting something else, that’s fine too, but these are areas that we believe are hot right now.
DSC Featured Articles
- Benefits of Blockchain Technology for Businesses
KathieAdams on 09 Aug 2022
- AI for Better Retail Management and Monitoring
Roger Brown on 09 Aug 2022
- SCM and Role of AI
ProlayGhosh on 09 Aug 2022
- WFH: Is the metaverse based on shared activity instead of shared space?
ajitjaokar on 09 Aug 2022
- Data Economic Force Multiplier
Bill Schmarzo on 09 Aug 2022
- Will AI Replace Doctors?
DineshBhol on 09 Aug 2022
- IoT is changing the Construction Industry
DineshBhol on 09 Aug 2022
- Top 10 Benefits of Digital Transformation Adoption
Edward Nick on 09 Aug 2022
- 9 Features that Make a Mobile App User-Friendly
James Wilson on 09 Aug 2022
- Metaverse: How Businesses Plan to Capture Real Value
Nikita Godse on 09 Aug 2022
- Magic bullet intelligent process automation, NLP edition
Alan Morrison on 09 Aug 2022
- DSC Weekly Stardate 47634.44: RIP Admiral Nyota Uhura
Kurt Cagle on 02 Aug 2022