Companies today need to be nimble and ready in the face of constantly evolving technology and changing consumer preferences. To achieve this, organizations are switching to Amazon Web Services (AWS). It enables companies to rapidly deploy and scale technology that meets the growing (or shrinking) demand without having to invest in expensive IT infrastructure. This is an efficient and cost-effective solution that makes it easier for businesses of all sizes to drive innovation. And, by now though most organizations are aware of the value delivered by AWS yet many of them have an alarmingly low awareness regarding cloud security.
The security model of AWS cloud computing service is based on the shared responsibility tenet. It implies that AWS is in charge of cloud infrastructure security though the customer must strive to achieve desired security levels within the cloud environment. Here are some best practices to enable you how to go about it.
- Strategize: While the endeavors to achieve top-notch AWS cloud security are surely appreciable and advised, any attempts to achieve the required security levels without any planning will most likely end in disaster for the company. A precise cloud security strategy will not only keep the implementation process on track but also ensure desired levels of safety even as software is continually updated.
- Cloud-native security solutions: Some companies may be tempted to simply make do with conventional security solutions. Resist the urge at all costs; instead, opt for a cloud-native security solution that also offers consistent support, can safeguard AWS workloads, etc.
- Embrace cloud security controls: Ensuring security is not just AWS’ responsibility; i.e. companies must also do their bit, including the implementation of different measures to ensure high levels of security. To that end, companies must unambiguously outline user roles, regularly organize and execute privilege audits to ensure users that do not need access any longer do not have access, and leverage a robust password policy. Implementing other controls, including permission time-outs and multi-factor authentication, helps further alleviate risk.
- Encryption is key: Most of us would think that encryption is now a standard procedure, but that is far from the truth, i.e. some companies often ignore this rather rudimentary requirement. Do not do that, please. Encryption is important for a variety of reasons, including the safety of sensitive data, regulatory compliance requirements, etc. AWS is highly conducive to encryption, actually; all companies need to do is enable native encryption to safeguard all the data stored on the Amazon S3 service.Encryption can be achieved with a reliable SSL certificate like comodo multi domain wildcard SSL as this certificate fulfills multi level subdomains and wildcard conditions in a single certificate.
- Prepare a response plan: Of course, the hope and goal are to ensure zero attacks; unfortunately, reality often tends to be different. Hence, the prudent thing to do in this regard is to hope for the best and prepare for the worst. In the context of AWS cloud security, this means the company must assume that an attack will indeed occur at some point and based on that, put together a plan of action for what to do when the attack occurs. Having a response plan to a breach ready to go allows companies to cut down the time it takes them to respond to such a situation.
There is not even a modicum of doubt that AWS is a segment leader for plenty of reasons. So, it is understandable that this behemoth in the cloud computing sector implements and enforces class-leading security measures to safeguard its virtual environments as well as its many, many users. Unfortunately, these measures can still be undermined if users do not equally share in the responsibility of ensuring top-notch cloud security. If you have been wondering how to do that, we hope you find the aforementioned best practices handy. And if you want to take it up a few notches still, we highly recommend you look for a trusted name in the world of AWS software development services. Their expertise will lend your pursuit of security a variety of crucial benefits.