In the last two decades, the web and digital technologies have become inseparable parts of business operations globally. It is not only just using the internet and applications for enhancing workflow; businesses are relying on advanced and customised software tailor-made for their needs. They are also using diverse types of web-based services to reach out to buyers and analyse market trends and developments. Analysis of mammoth amounts of data has become a prerequisite for success for businesses in any sector. That is why businesses use BI and data visualisation tools.
Why do businesses need data visualisation tools?
Businesses need to gather and analyse a whopping amount of data frequently, almost on a daily basis, these days. The importance of data analysis is undeniable. By analysing data obtained from multiple sources, they can fathom things related to business operations and chalk out possible future strategies.
However, just analysis of data is not enough for businesses. They also need to present the analysed data in an easily comprehensible, visual manner. This is where the BI and data visualisation tools step in. These tools have been developed to enable the users to collect and analyse a mammoth amount of data and then present it in a visual way. Power BI is one of the widely used data visualisation tools used by businesses from various niches. Businesses of varying types and sizes hire the top power bi consulting services to obtain the benefits.
By using data visualisation tools, businesses can obtain the following advantages:
- By using these specialised tools, businesses can figure out what customers like and dislike. They can therefore alter the products and services offered to the customers.
- By using Data visualisation tools, businesses can keep a tab on sales and revenue, time and region wise.
- By using these tools, businesses can find out areas where the expenditures are high. They can spot vendors charging steep amounts.
- Through the usage of data visualisation tools, it is possible to spot changing market trends.
- The predictive analytics capabilities of BI and data visualisation tools help businesses make strategic moves pertaining to the merger, acquisition, expansion in new markets etc.
- Through the usage of these tools, businesses can keep a tab on the performance of their employees, department, time and region wise.
Ensuring you choose the right data visualisation tool for your venture
While Microsoft Power BI is a popular Data visualisation tool and the demand for power bi developers continues to be high, the market has witnessed the entry of other contenders too. You need to know the right ways to evaluate the available tools and then pick the right one.
Listed below are some vital parameters using which you should assess such applications:
- Type of data visualisation software– First of all, you have to decide what type of data visualisation and BI application is best suited for your venture. There are On-premise and cloud-based data visualisation applications- to begin with. The latter brings more flexibility to the table- for sure.
- Pricing- You can find free and paid data visualisation tools. In fact, Power BI is available in both forms. As per your budget and business usage needs, you have to make a selection. Small and growing businesses can opt for free versions of BI applications with data visualisation features embedded. Naturally, the commercial versions are laden with more features, making them a suitable choice for MNCs and large enterprises. You can find subscription-based BI applications as well.
- OS and platform support- The Data visualisation software to be used by your company has to be platform-independent. This is more essential in businesses where multiple types of devices with varying OSes are in use. For example, if Windows, Mac and Android-based devices are used in your company, the BI tool must run on all these platforms smoothly. This explains why businesses are opting for cloud-based data visualisation solutions these days.
- Ease of usage- The BI and data visualisation application chosen for your company has to be simple to learn. It should have a nice and highly customizable UI. The employees should not face hassles in learning and using the application. It is better if the vendor offering the application provides extensive online and printed documentation and resources for training the employees.
- Visualisation elements- The tool must be laden with plenty of data visualisation elements, for sure. The users can then use the various elements to generate visually comprehensible reports. These may include multiple types of graphs, charts and maps. Apart from these elements, the tool must support using images, media content and audio file formats. A veteran Microsoft power bi developer can guide in leveraging the different visual elements in the tool, for sure.
- Extensive report generation and sharing- Analysing data and generating visual reports cut little ice if these can’t be shared easily with team members or concerned parties. So, the BI and data visualisation tool chosen should have excellent report creation and sharing features. Sharing reports with other application users, employees, and related parties should be simple and fast. Power BI, for example, lets you create visually stunning reports that can then be shared with people not using the tool.
- Integration with other applications- An ideal data visualisation and BI tool should be compatible with applications already in use in your organisation. Naturally, companies buying such applications use diverse types of on-premise apps or cloud services. So, the new tool should integrate with existing applications without a hitch. It should be compatible with database applications, office productivity tools, email applications and security solutions, for example. Integration with social media platforms is a must-have, too.
- Security features- A-Data visualisation tool is used for handling and analysing mammoth amounts of data. Logically, such applications are deployed to deal with crucial company data and confidential customer information from time to time. Dealing with sensitive data is something that cannot be handled casually! So, the tools chosen by your company should have robust data security features in place. It is better if the tool ships with 2-factor authentication, customizable user access control and other data theft prevention features.
- Support- Based on which product and the subscription plan you choose, shelling out a hefty amount may be required to avail benefits of a BI tool. So, ensure you get robust support from the vendor. Companies offering support through multiple channels are recommended.
Before you shell out the money for buying any BI and data visualisation application, it will be prudent to check it out on trial mode. Most such applications are offered in demo or trial editions, as it is. After checking out a few such applications, you should be able to fathom which one will suit your business needs the best.
Summing it up
The top BI and data visualisation tools come with plenty of features. To utilise these features to the hilt and integrate the tool with the existing IT setup, businesses seek the services of veteran BI consultants and analysts. You can hire a suitable power bi development agency in this regard. Of course, you may hire a BI consultant offering freelancing services.