Our newsletter has four sections, separated by horizontal lines: Announcements, Message From The Editor, Best Blogs, and Job Ads.
- Data Science Summit Las Vegas, May 22-23. Organized by EMC / Greenplum. Dr. Vincent Granville, Editor of this newsletter, founder of AnalyticBridge and partner at DataScienceCentral, will be attending. Meet me at this event! For details about the agenda, speakers, registration, recently added, etc. click here.
- Annual Text Analytics Summit East (June 12-13, Boston) - The Text Analytics Summit is the original and number one conference for all things text analytics. Text analytics is crucial for understanding the Voice of the Customer, performing efficient knowledge extraction, maximizing social media productivity, and optimizing research and data analysis. It has grown from a little known software application into an invaluable commercial tool being used by businesses worldwide. Whether you're a software developer, an experienced analytics user, or new to the text analytics industry, the Text Analytics Summit is the only place to get the inside information that you need to stay ahead of the competition and profit from text mining. Check out our exclusive Future of Text Analytics Podcast to see what we're all about. You canregister with discount code ABRIDGE12 to save $200!
- Data Mining Courses from The Modeling Agency
COURSES – Predictive Analytics & Data Mining: Model Development & Strategic Implementation ( May 14 - 18 Wash-DC | July 9 – 13 NYC | Aug 20 – 24 San Jose ) -- Learn what managers and practitioners really need to know about predictive modeling. The Modeling Agency’s NASBA accredited courses are designed to get you up to speed faster and more effectively than any other program available. Highly seasoned consultants convey a comprehensive and highly pragmatic view of data mining from two distinctly independent yet highly complementary orientations. Since The Modeling Agency is not a tools vendor, participants enjoy a balanced, broad, and non-promotional perspective of predictive analytics. View full course details and secure registration.
- From our Lavastorm analytics partner: We are building our Lavastorm Analytics Community Group on LinkedIn and would like to invite you to join us. Our membership is comprised of analytic experts, professionals, executives, students and customers of Lavastorm products and others interested in the topics around analytics. Analyticbridge is a regular contributor, and you will find some of our best discussions on Lavastorm's group.
- Rapid-I - Founder of open source data mining software Rapid|Miner, Rapid-I provides software, solutions, and services in the fields of predictive analytics, data mining, and text mining. The company concentrates on automatic intelligent analyses on a large-scale base, i.e. for large amounts of structured data like database systems and unstructured data like texts. The open-source data mining specialist Rapid-I enables other companies to use leading-edge technologies for data mining and business intelligence. Click here for details.
- Predictive Analytics World (Chicago, June 25-26) focuses on concrete examples of deployed predictive analytics. Hear from the horse's mouth precisely how Fortune 500 analytics competitors and other top practitioners deploy predictive modeling, and what kind of business impact it delivers. Click here to view the agenda at-a-glance.
PAW's Chicago 2012 program will feature over 40 sessions with case studies across 2 tracks: 1) All Audiences and 2) Expert/Practitioner so you can witness how predictive analytics is applied at leading enterprises such as HP, eBay, Mazda, BBC, Accenture.
- Big Data for Enterprise USA 2012 (San Francisco, June 27-28) - At Big Data for Enterprise USA 2012, 20+ analytics professionals from eBay, Intercontinental Hotels, Equifax, IBM and more will share practical insights on how to unlock the power of big data to increase customer value and drive competitive advantage.
- Predictive Analytics Webinar from The Modeling Agency
WEBINAR - “Data Mining: Failure to Launch” ( Free Event: June 7 @ 4p EDT | July 17 @ 11a EDT ) – Learn how to get Predictive Analytics off the ground and into orbit. In this vendor-neutral presentation, participants will learn why more than half of all data mining projects fail or fall short; how to avoid common pitfalls; valuable tips and tricks to enhance predictive modeling performance; why data mining is within their grasp; and how to get started. View event details and register for this Free Webinar.
- 2012 BayesiaLab Training Schedule - This comprehensive 3-day seminar will be hosted by Bayesia's CEO, Dr. Lionel Jouffe. In this training, Dr. Jouffe will cover everything from the basic principles of Bayesian networks to practical applications from a wide range of industries, using the BayesiaLab software package. All examples are accompanied by practical hands-on exercises, so participants can immediately implement the concepts presented in the course. Also, participants will have access to a full 60-day license of BayesiaLab 5.0 Professional. The fee for the 3-day course is $3,000. Students and teachers are eligible for an academic discount.
- Paris, France, June 19-21 (in French)
- Boston, MA, June 26-28
- Toronto, Canada, July 17-19
- Paris, France, September 25-27 (in French)
- San Jose, CA, October (to be held in conjunction with the 2012 Data Mining Camp)
Email [email protected] or call +1 888-386-8383 to sign up. Or register online.
2. Message From The Editor
- We will attend the Data Science Summit in Las Vegas, May 22-23. This is a great opportunity to meet the founder of Analyticbridge.
- Data Science Central’s forums are taking off! – Please check out some of the new topics within DSC’s growing forums. The forums help to further the community experience, offering peer to peer support and helping our community to come together in a professional setting related to the topics we deal with on a daily basis– check out a few of the recent posts and please join and participate – It is your community:The Evolution of What is Data Science, What are the most challenging issues when dealing with analytic tools, What is Machine Data? and many others - we look forward to your participation!
- News Alert! - We are about to unveil the new AnaylticBridge / Data Science Central Job Board! Keep an eye out – coming in June (AnalyticTalent.com), the new job board will offer deeper community reach, searchable resume data base, ease of use and self service options not offered before. The roll out will include free job posts and membership to post your resume at no charge as part of our community offering. In the mean time – find below (in this newsletter, job section) some of the highlighted jobs from the past few weeks.
- New blog series about faces of analytics and data science. Other blog series include "top 10 metrics to solve a specific problem", "unusual applications of data sciences", "insights about the analytic community", "interesting stuff found my mailbox", "great analytc articles from major news outlets".
- Article about what Analyticbridge / DataScienceCentral is: services offered (announcements about books, webinars, training, conferences, jobs, white papers, analytic news, salary surveys and much more), how to leverage it for your career, and what are the different components of our network. This article will help you have a better understanding of who we are and what we offer to visitors, members, subscribers, advertisers and the analytic / data science community in general.
3. Selected News and Contributions
Data Science Central
- 3 Big Data Startups: Locu, Essess, Coursera
- When to hire a data scientist: before or after a big crisis?
- New Research on Big Data
- Three analytic startup ideas
- The key factor to optimize analytic recruiting, based on job board ...
- In the Name of Hadoop! What do you think about Flume, Oozie, Mahout...
- Why are spam detection algorithms so terrible?
- Featured Data Scientist: Vincent Granville, Analytic Entrepreneur
- Faces of Deloitte Analytics: Meet Jenny
- New Article: Correlation & Scatter Plots
- Big Data's Big Problem: Little Talent | Wall Street Journal
- IDC Report: Analytics for Driving Business Process Improvement
- The Stanford Education Experiment Could Change Higher Learning Fore...
- GE's Billion-Dollar Bet on Big Data | BusinessWeek
- Data Scientists: The New Rock Stars of the Tech World | Techopedia
- Should you outsource data science, hire experts or use software
- In terms of career prospects, is it better to be an analytic 'niche...
- Interpretation for Tree Classification on R' Packages
- [Competition] Modeling: Maximizing Loan Potential
- 30 unusual applications of data sciences, analytics and big data
- Statistical BS from autism geneticist in New York Times
- 13 great articles about analytics / data science from major news ou...
- MLSP 2012 Competition: Amazon Data Science Competition
- Build in-demand skills for the growing analytics field
- NYU Stern Announces New Masters in Business Analytics
- Learning from Data (Caltech course)
- Berkeley course on Data Science
- A few new books from the CRC Press
- New journal: Decision Analytics (available in open access)
4. Job Section
- Featured job ads: Click here to read the job description and to apply.Post a job ad on our network.
- Senior Analyst, Data Analytics Team - Cincinnati Children’s Hospital (Cincinnati, OH)
- Statistical Data Analyst - Turbine (Needham MA)
- Senior Operations Analyst - Peapod (Skokie, IL)
- E-Merchandising Project Manager - Peapod (Skokie, IL)
- Director of Algorithms - Guardian Analytics (Mountain View, CA)
- Analytics Application Developer - Collectivei (NYC, NY)
- Senior Operations Analyst -Peopod (Skokie, IL)
- HRCP Analytics Specialist - McKinsey & Company (Greater New York, NY | Greater Chicago, IL)
- Consultant, Predictive Analytics (New York City, NY | New Jersey | Boston | Philadelphia)
- Data Scientist - Resonate (Reston, VA)
- Quantitative Analyst - Resonate (Reston, VA)
- Director/Manager Analytic Applications - iiA (Jersey City, NJ or San Francisco, CA)
- Quantitative Research Analyst - Agilex (Springfield, VA)
- Configuration Analyst - Agilex (Springfield, VA)
- Sr Principal Engineer - Agilex (Alexandria, VA)
- Quantitative Analyst - Agilex (Springfield, VA)
- Quantitative Manager - Agilex (Alexandria, VA)
- Analytics Principal - Angoss (Washington, DC)
- Analytics Product Manager - Angoss (Washington, DC)
- Data Scientist - Facebook (Menlo Park, CA)
- Manager, Advanced Analytics - Deloitte (Chicago, IL)
- Sr Data Scientist - Paypal (San Jose, CA)
- Director of Analytics - Altius University (San Francisco, CA)
- Enterprise Sales Executive - KXEN (US, US)
- Technical and Presales Architect - KXEN (US, US)
- Strategic Analyst I - Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (New York, NY)
- Senior Data Analyst - Travelocity (Southlake, TX)
- Web and Device Analyst - Barnes and Noble (New York, NY)
- Principal Data Analyst - Travelocity (Southlake, TX)
- Data Analyst - Travelocity (Southlake, TX)
- Director, Retail Analytics - Barnes & Noble (NYC, NY)
- Pricing Analyst - Barnes & Noble (NYC, NY)
- Sr. Data Scientist - Con-way Freight (Ann Arbor, MI)
- Analyst of Customer Insight - Neiman Marcus (Dallas, TX)
- Research Project Director (Chicago, IL)
- Follow us on Twitter: @datashaping (jobs) | @analyticbridge (news)