This is an update to our December 2013 article: 6000 companies hiring data scientists. Microsoft and IBM still dominate, but we've seen some shift over the last 12 months:
- Accenture, Google and Cognizant are gaining traction, but overall, rankings for top companies have barely changed
- The top 20 companies now amount to 7.5% of data scientists, versus 10% in December 2013. This is a significant change, proving that data science adoption is exploding faster in small companies.
- We have now 7,500 companies in our listing, versus 6,000 in December: a 25% growth over the last 12 months.
Note that data science is still growing very fast. Also, the number of data scientists per company (the statistical distribution), as a function of company size, follows a Zipf distribution.
We will soon publish a more detailed article with a breakdown per industry, and based on two LinkedIn profiles, not just mine. This will allow for increased accuracy, and more refined trend analysis. Below are the top 20 companies today, based on 10,000+ connections on my LinkedIn profile (the drops or gains in rank, among the top 20 companies, compared with December 2013, are not statistically significant except for one company).
You can download the list of 7500 companies here. We will also use this data set (a more granular version) to update our list of top job titles for data scientists. Many more interesting articles are in our pipeline, including:
- full code and example (with Excel spreadsheet, and source code in a scripting language) for our Jackknife regression (based on highly realistic simulated data about the value of specific data science software skills)
- hidden decision trees applied to real data (source code and Excel implementation)
- More about reverse-engineering some Google algorithms
- Taxonony for top 2,000 data science articles (and how to use it for growth hacking)
- Skills mix broken down by age, education level, gender and location, for data scientists
- Skills associations, for various types of data scientists
Sign up to receive our newsletter, to not miss these great articles.