Subscribe to DSC Newsletter

Companies such as Facebook and Apple use Ireland as a tax shelter, with great benefits for them. As billion of dollars in lawsuits could result from GDPR, will Ireland still be able to attract big companies, or keep the ones that have elected to relocate there? What will be the impact on jobs? Was GDPR primarily designed to penalize Ireland?

Also, we have seen recently large publishers (for instance, the Los Angeles Time) decide to block access to all European visitors. Will this get worse, or better? Will EU win (in the sense of getting a positive ROI thanks to the lawsuits) or lose that fight against foreign companies? Will this regulation make big businesses stronger than ever and kill small businesses (at least those relying on EU business) despite the claim that GDPR is supposed to produce the opposite effect? Will bureaucracy win against innovation? Is EU killing itself with bureaucracy?

Here is my take on this, as a publisher:

People who do not want their data being stored, essentially people who bring no revenue to publishers, should not be allowed to access the websites in question, so definitely, no data about them should be tracked, and likewise, no access to content be provided to them. They think publishers (and I include Facebook and Google in the list of publishers) work for free and should give them access to content for free with no string attached. Indeed refusing these visitors is a way to save bandwidth and to provide better, more relevant CTR / leads to advertisers. If you own a restaurant, would you accept clients that stay for hours, feel entitled, and only order tap water and don't tip? It is the same thing. 

Worse, not tracking IP addresses and monitoring activity at the individual level, goes against any security protocol used to detect, report, and block illegal activity. In short, it allows pedophiles and terrorists to access the web anonymously, with the protection of the EU government, and even sue any entity that monitor them.

Finally, why would you want to visit websites that keep data on visitors, if you don't like it? There are plenty of websites that don't. If you want to get a book, but don't like the fact that you have to pay for it, you don't buy it. I don't see how this is different, as long as website access is provided only to visitors who agree with the terms of service (and thus, compliant with the regulations.)

Feel free to share your opinion.

DSC Resources

Views: 1115

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There are lot of points in the article.

I would not personally cry of the failure of tax dumping strategy of Ireland at the expense of EEC states (and citizens at the end) even though GDPR will not change the fact that Ireland will remain a tax shelter inside EEC zone.

I do not think too that GDPR has anything to do with with the idea of replacing taxes with fines and evaluation of some ROI.

The concern is not that people do not want their data being stored but shared (bought) with anybody without their consent and I think it is the same concern for any publisher whether it publishes for (apparently) free or not. I do not feel uncomfortable that my personal data remains my property after I accepted to share them just like your keep the intellectual property on your articles. As you wrote, there are plenty of sites that looks free but they are not and to reuse the bar comparison, one basic strategy of social networks is to get the maximum number of people in the restaurant room (because they sell their picture, friends list...and get money from ads on the walls) to attract more and more.

To conclude, tracking IP and activity at an individual level looks to me more like some dictatorship dream than an efficient way to fight illegal activities but this comes more into political debate than it needs to.

"If you want to get a book, but don't like the fact that you have to pay for it, you don't buy it."

.....but I do go to the library.

And lots of libraries offer anonymous, free use of the internet.  But even that has problems.  One apartment complex I lived in offered free wi-fi.  Which was a great deal because of the expense of internet access.  I didn't think much about the security of my information.  I should have been because someone was monitoring me and hacked into my Amazon account and changed personal information in the profile making it almost impossible for me to do anything about it.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Follow Us

Resources

© 2018   Data Science Central ®   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service