Subscribe to DSC Newsletter

What software applications would you recommend to create an online tool where users can upload an Excel file containing a sheet with numbers and text labels (a sort of database) and get in return a report made of numerical tables and text comments (some basic functions like standard deviation, average, and the like are needed as well as bivariate graphs)?

Others before you have suggested Python, Hadoop, PHP, Java, and on. I'm confused.

If my question isn't clear or detailed enough please ask and I'll refine it.

Any help is very appreciated,

Mirio

Views: 414

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Mirio,

A Shiny app would be great here for your use case. Shiny is an R package that makes it easy to build interactive web applications (apps). Now there are a few ways you can do this.

1. Program the app solely in R. The program will take in a data frame(excel file) and then you can use the basic functions to make the tables and graph. You'll need two other files as well, server.R and ui.R. The server.R will connect your program to the app and then the ui.R will be the user interface of your app. All three; program.R, server.R, and ui.R will be interconnected to each other. 

2. Program the app in Python and then have the program connect to your Shiny app. This will work exactly the same as the first option. The program will take in a data frame(excel file) and then you can use the basic functions to make the tables and graph. You'll need two other files as well, server.R and ui.R. The server.R will connect your program to the app and then the ui.R will be the user interface of your app. All three; program.py, server.R and ui.R will be interconnected to each other.

I would recommend the latter because I am more proficient with Python. I find that writing the main program is easier with Python. However, if you are more proficient with R then go with R.  

Hope this helps give you some direction! 

Thank you Timothy, this helps!

I'm not very proficient with R. Python sounds interesting, although this is not something I will (completely) code myself.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply,

Mirio

You're welcome!! Happy to help out. 

Mirio De Rosa said:

Thank you Timothy, this helps!

I'm not very proficient with R. Python sounds interesting, although this is not something I will (completely) code myself.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply,

Mirio

Tableau Public 

RSS

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2019   Data Science Central ®   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service