Subscribe to DSC Newsletter
Hello everyone,

I need some help with my internship project please.

The company in which I'm doing my internship is changing the tool that manages all the data. As a result of that, they want me to do a data mappin.

After doing some research of this subject, I understood that data mapping was a way to link the different data to better target them and not creating a map with all the data represented on it as I thought in the beginning. The problem is that I don't know how to proceed.

First, I thought about the following steps:

1. Study the data that are stored in the software that manages the database.
  2. Export the data I need (Using Business Object or Toad since they give me access to them)
  3. Clean the data exported (Using OpenRefine or manually by using Python)
  4. Mapping the data

I do not know if these are the right steps to follow.

Then I looked for open source tools to do the mapping directly but unfortunately I didn't find what I was looking for.

thank you for your help

Tags: Data, mapping

Views: 761

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Amine,

Please allow me to give you a bit of advice if you're going to make a career in computer science.

If you don't know what someone is expecting from you, ask. If you don't clarify this explicitly upfront, odds are that you'll fail to meet that person's expectations. Don't be afraid to admit that you don't fully understand what a term means (there are usually multiple interpretations and ambiguities anyways).

I've managed many programmers, and I can tell you that I admire someone who admits that he/she doesn't know but is willing to learn, far more than I do someone who pretends to know and then fails to deliver.

Wayne

Thank you for the advise.

I will ask my Boss for more information about what he's expecting from me to do.

Have a good day

RSS

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2019   Data Science Central ®   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service