Looking for recommendations on migrating, integrating, or adapting to open source Hadoop platform for data analysis

I just discovered Data Science Central and after reading a few posts, I joined immediately because there are so much I would like to learn and catch up. 

My graduated work involved vegetation and environment data for ecological research and worked with manufacturing and forest plantation resource management data for about 20 years.  I used Excel, Statistica, and MS BI stacks when I need to do data analysis for my prior jobs.  I finished a 8-mo BI contract in June, I took a short break and preparing to transition into mobile and marketing areas. 

After reviewing a few job descriptions, I reviewed a few demons on Pentaho, Palo and WEKA (new to me have not use them before and they seem to be cool tools).  I would like to learn more about them and I appreciate any suggested reading (tips and reviews), recommendations on system or framework for mobile marketing data analysis, and your thoughts that may help me adapt to the big data arena.  Thanks.

CL   

Views: 444

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've heard of WEKA and know that it's a popular toolbox for Machine Learning. Not sure about the others. I'd start from Hadoop, Python, and R. If you are familiar with programming, skip Python and learn some Java, C#, or C++.

Thanks for the good information.  So much to learn with limited time. -CL

Dr. Z said:

I've heard of WEKA and know that it's a popular toolbox for Machine Learning. Not sure about the others. I'd start from Hadoop, Python, and R. If you are familiar with programming, skip Python and learn some Java, C#, or C++.

RSS

© 2021   TechTarget, Inc.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service