Subscribe to DSC Newsletter

Best way to change careers and get into Data Science

I'm looking to establish a plan in which I can learn about and build the skills necessary to change careers and enter into a Data Science role.  Right now, I have a ME degree in EE where I focused on System and Signal processing.  The classes revolved around adaptive signal processing, neural networks and computational neuroscience.  I only used MATLAB as a programming language for those classes.  Right now, I'm debating on which educational route to take to move my career.  Is it worthwhile to explore a formal MS degree in Data Science?  A PhD? Are the specializations offered through Coursera a good starting point or are they a waste of time and money?  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated?

Views: 1207

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think your ME degree in enough why again you do MS and may be you can pursue PhD later . Now for Data Science you brush up all your mathematics and statistics skills . Then start from basics develop skills  R/Python or Perl for Data Science . I think this will help for your career change. Thank you all the best!!

Thank you very much for the information.  I appreciate it.  

Dr S Kotrappa said:

I think your ME degree in enough why again you do MS and may be you can pursue PhD later . Now for Data Science you brush up all your mathematics and statistics skills . Then start from basics develop skills  R/Python or Perl for Data Science . I think this will help for your career change. Thank you all the best!!

Hi Domenico,

I made a switch from software development also, this PYData meetup was very helpful in cutting out irrelevant information.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIofV14c0tc&t=222s

Good luck! 

:)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Follow Us

Videos

• Add Videos

Resources

© 2017   Data Science Central   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service