Subscribe to DSC Newsletter

Does it really matter from which college you graduated

I have nearly 2 decades experience in data management, but no degree. I've started taking classes at a community college but am trying to determine where to finish a BS/BA. The catch, it has to be 100% online degree program from a regionally accredited university in the US.

Given my age/stage in my career and the variance in cost and prestige of the available programs, I ask you this:

Does it really matter from which college you graduated? 

Which is more important, the college name or degree? 

Is a college nationally ranked at 50, better than one ranked 130?  

Views: 843

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

At your level of experience, the school doesn't matter. If you are earning the degree, so you can be promoted or will satisfy requirements for jobs, to which you plan to apply, just go with the "path of least resistance". If you are looking to add to your background (e.g., learn about machine learning methods), then look for the program that provides what you want, but again, the actual school will have little impact, for someone with 20 yrs of experience. 

Thanks for the reply, Bob. I agree with your assessment, however, in the back of my mind, I keep having a feeling I might regret going for the quickest/cheapest degree. For example, two schools I'm considering from opposite ends of the spectrum are Penn State and Southern New Hampshire University. I think I'll learn something useful either way, so I'm not too concerned with the education aspect. You get out what you put in, and all that.

Again, I appreciate the response.

Bob Vanderheyden said:

At your level of experience, the school doesn't matter. If you are earning the degree, so you can be promoted or will satisfy requirements for jobs, to which you plan to apply, just go with the "path of least resistance". If you are looking to add to your background (e.g., learn about machine learning methods), then look for the program that provides what you want, but again, the actual school will have little impact, for someone with 20 yrs of experience. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Follow Us

Videos

• Add Videos

Resources

© 2017   Data Science Central   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service